Monday, September 28, 2009

Have a Little Faith?

I flew to California on Saturday to stay with my nephews while my sister attends a conference. I was scheduled to leave Austin at 10:10AM (cdt) and arrive in Oakland at 1:20pm (pdt) which is 3:20 central time. I arrived at the airport with plenty of time to get through security and check a bag on Southwest. I even had an A boarding pass! We boarded the plane, and it was a pretty full flight with many stay-on passengers from Dallas. We pulled away from the gate on time, but after a few minutes, the pilot came on the intercom and said we had to return to the gate because there was a mechanical issue that needed to be remedied.
Then we sat on the plane for an hour while the powers that be decided what the next course of action should be. Of course, the mechanics had to come from Dallas to fix the issue. Luckily, we didn't have to wait for them to get there and service the plane. Southwest found another plane for us to use. So, we deplaned. As we did so, we all received a number, so they could reboard us...since Southwest has no assigned seating. Of course, I was sitting at the back of the plane. I received number 113 out of 123...Grrr...So much for the A boarding pass. What is worse is that I actually ended up being the very last person on the plane because they just boarded in groups and not exact number order. Not that it really would have mattered. I would have ended up in a middle seat anyway. On a 3.5 hour flight to LA.
We left Austin at 11:40AM, an hour and a half after we were supposed to. We arrived in LA at 12:50 local time. I was happy I didn't have to deplane and change planes since my flight continued on to Oakland. There were people that had to rush off the plane to catch their connecting flights.
And then the funny Southwest staff told us that our flight had been discontinued and that everyone continuing to Oakland was being booked on other flights. I laughed. Seriously? They weren't kidding. AND they weren't sorry.
I had a 2 hour layover in LA before catching my 1 hour and 10 minute flight to Oakland. BUT we arrived 10 minutes early! My sister picked me up at the airport around 4:40, roughly 3.5 hours after I was supposed to originally arrive.
My not so short day of flying, while it is not in the Top 5 of my worst flights, I think it might make the Top 10. I find it hard to complain about Southwest catching a mechanical issue before we got into the air and something really bad happened. I also find it hard to complain about things not going perfectly, when in the grand scheme of things (especially for how often I fly) I don't really have many delays/changes of plan. What I do wish I had from that day was a better apology for the way things ended up once we got to L.A. I mean I did CHOOSE to fly Southwest, and would like my loyalty acknowledged.
I can only hope that my return flight is a little better. Because, really, it shouldn't take me longer to get from Austin to Oakland than Providence to Oakland. That's just wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment