Monday, April 5, 2010

My Last Birthday

Another year. Another Birthday. You see, I was born on April Fools Day. Over the years, it has been a toss up as to whether the day would be bright or dreary. Some people like to play April Fools jokes and think it is even funnier to play jokes on someone who was actually born on such a silly day. In elementary school, someone gave me a pencil as a gift. I think I laughed! My freshman year of high school, my friends all decided to pretend like it wasn't my birthday. I most certainly did not laugh!
My past few birthdays have coincided with Nicholas' midterms. Not so fun! This year, we had a birthday dinner with friends at Abuelo's. Yum! It took me back to my college days. The other exciting thing about my birthday is that it often falls on Easter weekend. I guess it's like having a birthday in the summer when you are in school. It's hard to get people together for a "party." This year, my birthday fell on Maundy Thursday. I'm not sure which Holy Day is better to share a birthday with, Maundy Thursday or Good Friday, but they are both pretty grimm.
I digress. I got a free dessert at Abuelo's, which was nice and perfect for sharing!
Flat Stanley even helped me celebrate my birthday! By the way, I don't care what anyone says, having a birthday on Facebook rocks!
On Friday night, we went to South Congress Cafe with Nicholas parents. They had never been, and it was nice to introduce them to one of our favorite restaurants.
After dinner, we took a little walk up South Congress looking in the windows of the closed shops.
You may be wondering about the title of my post. Well, this was my 29th birthday. When my mother called to wish me a happy birthday, she informed me I was not allowed to have anymore because she couldn't handle having a 30 year old daughter. I started thinking about how I felt about turning 29, and I have to say that I am happy. There are things I probably always thought I would do by "now." If I had ever made such a list of things, I am sure I would find "undone" things on the list, but I doubt the list would have consisted of all the things I have done in my short little life! I am married to someone I am completely in love with; I am enjoying being a homeowner; I have a stable job; I travel often and relish all the children in our lives. I know that each year will continue to be filled with love, hope, sorrow, new experiences, and surprises. I plan to memorialize it all, right here (and in my many scrapbooks)!

No comments:

Post a Comment