Sunday, May 16, 2010

On This Day...

7 Years Ago...I became a college graduate...A University of Texas Alum...
On that early Friday morning, I walked across the stage for my Linguistics degree (but double majored in History, too). I had a strong showing of family and friends (9 family members and 7 friends) come to watch me walk across the stage, not all of whom are still with us.
Afterwards, we had a lunch at the Turman's house (where all the good parties happen!). Does anyone recognize the couch in this picture? After many good years at the Turman's house, Cam and I inherited it in our 3rd floor apartment. Then it moved with Nicholas and I to Rhode Island where we decided it needed to stay when we moved back to Texas, and it went to a lovely family who I am sure are enjoying its exquisite comfy-ness!
I am including this picture because my Grandmom is in it, and my graduation was the last major celebration we were blessed to have her share with us on this Earth.
And let's not forget Kathryn and John Turman...both of whom are now taller than me!
Since I can't believe that it has been 7 whole years since I left UT, I thought I would reflect on all that has happened since then, especially since I really had NO plans when I graduated.
  • I have had 8 different addresses in those 7 years (which is pretty exciting when you are filling out a background investigation form).
  • I have lost 2 grandmothers, a great uncle, an uncle, and a dear friend, all unexpectedly and with little to no warning.
  • I met my husband, dated him, proposed to him, planned a wedding, and married him.
  • I have worked for my current company for 5 1/2 years (even if they don't recognize it because I took a month break). In those years, I have held 6 different positions.
  • I have found a faith community that shares my beliefs and have had 4 pastors that have significantly impacted my life.
  • I was baptized.
  • I left my beloved job, Austin, and family and friends in Texas to live with my husband in Rhode Island. I learned to embrace new experiences, be open to new relationships, and find happiness in all the beauty that life has to offer.
  • I have been given a unique view of the military and deployment to the Middle East with several family members and friends serving our country. I have learned that no matter what is going on in Washington D.C. that it is important to remember our soldiers in our prayers everyday because they are making sacrifices that we could not begin to imagine.
  • I have met and cultivated relationships with some of the best friends I will ever have.
  • I have added countless states, cities, and sites to my list of visited places. I have traveled to Germany twice.
  • I have become an expert at going through security at the airport.
  • 1 nephew and 3 nieces have been born.
  • I have learned that with or without plans, life will have unexpected twists and turns and that each new experience makes you stronger.
I will end with a line from a song I have been listening to lately:

"Be her best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you. Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense. Don't let your praying knees get lazy and love like crazy."

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I heard that song for the first time this week and LOVED it!

    Second...I hope I fall on the list of "best friends"!

    Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete