Friday, March 12, 2010

Is it Cost Effective to Bake Bread?

Sometime last year Nicholas went on a kick of wanting to make bread from scratch...the old fashioned way. I reminded him that we have a bread maker, but he was having none of that. There was something about wanting to do it all himself and preferring the shape of the bread out of a bread pan instead of the bread maker. Then he learned the lesson of killing yeast with water that is too hot. Needless to say, the bread was a little dense, but delicious nonetheless.
One day I was perusing Musings of a Housewife and found a recipe for Homemade Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread perfect for my Kitchen Aid mixer! You may remember that I am not a fan of the high fructose corn syrup, and was mortified a couple a years ago when I read that the bread I was eating had HFCS in it. I made my first batch of bread and was hooked. Now I refuse to buy bread.
I was talking to some people about my new vow, and someone asked if it was cost effective to buy bread. Of course I thought it was, but I decided to do the math. I calculated the cost of whole wheat flour, unbleached all purpose flour, all purpose flour, coconut oil, honey, and yeast, most of which I did not buy on sale. Each batch of batter makes 2 loaves in my mixer totaling $1.80 per loaf of bread. Granted that is more expensive than the cheapest bread you can buy in the store, but I wouldn't buy that bread anyway. The bread I was buying was $2.50/loaf when it was on sale.
For me, it is cost effective to bake my own bread. I like knowing exactly where all the ingredients are coming from, and it is SUPER DELICIOUS!

2 comments:

  1. This is good to know... we've thought about making bread, but I never knew if it was really worth it. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, you should definitely try this recipe! It's so easy!

    ReplyDelete