Friday, October 2, 2009

Hippie

It all started when I made a sandwich. Who knew that what promises to be a years long family laughfest would begin with two pieces of bread. My little sister called me a hippie, and then laughed, hysterically. The laughing wasn't too surprising because she does that a lot. Then she showed me this video. And we laughed together.

I asked my little sister what constituted a hippie. Here is her list:
1. Eating wheat bread.
2. Attending a protest against Republicans.
3. Recycling
4. Driving a hybrid car

If you read about hippies on wikipedia and you know me a little bit, then you probably wouldn't call me a hippie. BUT that is what my sister will call me for the foreseeable future. I'm not a nature person, and I am not an environmentalist (although, don't tell my hubby). I do believe in being responsible. I believe in not taking my life, my blessings, and my people for granted.

So, I am adding to the "hippie" list a few things I try to do to earn the hippie name:
1. Use hippie bags (a.k.a. reusable bags) when shopping
2. Work from home :)
3. Stay away from the bottled water
4. Try to buy local produce
5. Use "green" cleaning products...they smell better!
6. Take 5 minute showers
7. Invest in fair trade coffee
8. Save energy by unplugging the TV/DVD player/video/cell phone chargers games to keep them from continuing to use energy even though they are off.
9. Wear flip flops. I'm not really sure this helps the environment, but it feels hippie!
10. Sign-up for e-bills so you don't get paper ones in the mail. They take up space in the filing cabinet, cost money, and fill up your mailbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment