Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Clamming

While we were in Long Island, we went clamming. We were just strolling along, enjoying the amazing ocean water. Jill was talking about how here sister used to find the clams with her toes, so we started digging. Here is a picture of me with my clam...the first clam we found! Technically, it was a joint effort between Nicholas and I. I had my toe on it and asked Nicholas to dive to see what it was. :) I was afraid it was going to snap at me!
So between the five of us that were in the water the first day, we found about 9 big chowder clams. The next day, Anna and David went with their grandfather to the pond to rake clams and found about 60 littlenecks.
Later, Nicholas and I went back out into the big ocean with Anna to find more chowder clams. The water was so clear, you could see them on top of the sand. No toe digging required!
For dinner, we (a.k.a. Jill's dad) shucked the clams and made linguini with clam sauce. It was so nice to feel like hunter gatherers and a great last dinner on Long Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment