Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rhode Island Scrapbook--Warren, RI


Since we are moving back to Texas (and I don't have enough to do already), I have decided to begin work on our Rhode Island scrapbook. My two least favorite things about Rhode Island are state income taxes and being so far from all our family...in that order! There are, however, a multitude of things about Rhode Island that we will miss and have shaped our life here. I will use this forum to begin laying out my ideas, since my intention is to be a little more creative with this scrapbook than most I do. It's a win-win since now everyone we know will also have a little piece of Rhode Island through my/our eyes.

I begin with Warren, RI, which is apropos since I am sitting in our favorite coffee shop, The Coffee Depot, but more on that in another post. Warren was incorporated in 1747 and is located about 20 minutes from our apartment (that's about 7 miles in Texas terms). It is 6.5 miles and has a population of about 11,000. It is part of the East Bay of Rhode Island located between the towns of Barrington and Bristol.

We like Warren because it is quaint, and the town has worked really hard to "clean-up." To me, it has that quintessential New England style where you can walk down the street, have lunch at the cafe, get your haircut, see your neighbors, and enjoy the sea (or Bay in this case) air. It's a town full of small businesses and artists. For us, it's well worth the "long" commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment