Sunday, March 15, 2009

Free Compliments

There was a segment on Good Morning America yesterday about two college kids that stand in Times Square giving away free compliments, just to make someone's day. Compliments are wonderful, when they are in fact compliments.
I hate to workout. I don't use the word hate lightly. I detest working out with every bone in my body. Until I was a junior in college, I never did it regularly. High school band should not be the only form of exercise a high schooler gets. Unfortunately, I don't have skinny genes (or jeans, for that matter), not to mention the high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, and breast cancer that runs in my family. I might hate working out, but I will always do it. Sometimes it even makes me feel good, but I would like to keep that a secret.
When I was working out today, walking around sunny Riverside and pretending I was in California, I started thinking about how I could use free compliments when I am working out. I do get a lot of thinking (and reading) done when I am working out, but bright ideas like this are usually triggered by an event. I was walking down the street, and some guy in a passing car yelled at me, "Work it, Baby." I know very few people who actually look good while they are working out. I haven't worn shorts in over a year to go walking, and I am sure that my rosy cheeked, wind-blown face is less than becoming. Maybe this guy was just so excited that he could roll down the window without ice crystals immediately freezing to his face. Or perhaps he was just jealous that I was burning off all the calories I had consumed for the day while his beer gut was just expanding from all the "fun" he had last night.
Either way, I started thinking about actual compliments that would encourage/help me work out. Here are a few that came to mind:
  • Running makes your butt look good! I stole this compliment from a sign I saw at Brenna's triathlon.
  • Woo-hoo! It's a staple for me.
  • Way to keep your cholesterol in check!
  • Your skins glows like a thousand splendid suns.

No comments:

Post a Comment