Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Joy of Children, Part 4

At our Post-Engagement Pre-Wedding Celebration (PEPWC) so named because Matt didn't understand why we were having a party, after having 2 engagement parties, that wasn't our actual wedding, and he didn't need to wear a tux to it.
Heere ends "The Joy of Children" series, and I have saved the longest for last. Brace yourselves for the Turman's. I met the Turman's when I worked at the daycare. Matthew was 2 and Kathryn was 4. Their mom, Beth, worked at Dell (a good distance from the daycare) and was often late to pick the kids up. It wasn't long before we decided that it would be more economical for the Turman's if I just started taking Kat and Matt home a couple of nights a week. And so began my future...almost 8 years ago. So, to recap, when I started babysitting for the Turman's LJ was in 4th grade, Kat was 4, and Matt was 2. They are now in 11th grade, 7th grade, and 4th grade, respectively.
After the UT Baseball team won the National Championship in 2003
It wasn't long before the Turman's became my Austin family. I began by just dropping off or picking up kids from various sporting/school/church events, but quickly became a regular football/basketball/tee ball/softball/soccer/volleyball game and band concert attendee/avid fan. I was overjoyed when LJ began 5th grade and was reading Shakespeare in his Language Arts class. Kat taught me how to roller blade, and all the kids taught me how to play tennis. It was with the Turman kids that I first watched "The Sound of Music" on a very rainy July afternoon in the midst of an indoor camping adventure. I have been to the movies on many occasions with all or one of the kids (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Lizzie Maguire Movie, Phantom of the Opera). When LJ becomes a renowned concert french horn player, I will write his life story and enjoying sharing the story of hearing "Hot Cross Buns" on his mouthpiece in 6th grade before he was allowed to touch the actual instrument. I helped Matt learn how to spell his name on many car rides home from the daycare. I could keep going, but then I would have nothing left for my memoir.
After watching The Nutcracker, Christmas 2007
I can't pinpoint exactly when the Turman kids became more than an extra job. It was before I graduated from college and moved back to Dallas. That is when LJ wrote a paper about missing me for his English class. That is also when Kat wrote a story about jumping on the trampoline with me. There was a period of about 9 months when I lived with the Turman family. They were all a much need blessing in a very hard year. I started dating Nicholas while I was living the Turman's, and they quickly learned to love him like I do.
At our rehearsal dinner
There was no question that all the Turman's would participate in our wedding. Beth was a bridesmaid, Johndad was an usher/reader, LJ played the french horn, Kat was a Jr. Bridesmaid, and Matt was an usher (and quite dashing in a tux!).
At our wedding reception
Due to LJ's stellar music ability, he has been coming to a summer music program at Tanglewood in MA. It is affiliated with Boston University and a really cool place to be. Naturally, Nicholas and I were strategically placed last summer to be LJ's New England contacts! LJ and I had a nice drive to northern NH (really late at night) for his french horn camp. Then Nicholas and I picked him up at Tanglewood at the end of the summer and safely dropped him off at the Boston airport.
After a Young Artist Orchestra concert at Tanglewood
In between, the whole Turman family flew to Boston to initially drop LJ off at Tanglewood. Then we spent a week in Cape Cod over July 4th. We had a great time at the beach, enjoying lots of yummy seafood, fabulous whale watching, and Spades!

On the boat to go whale watching, off the coast of Cape Cod.
We have had some good times with the Turman's and look forward to many more! Kat and LJ are both taller than me, now. Hopefully I have a few years left before Matt catches up!
Christmas 2008

Dropping LJ off at Logan Airport before church

No comments:

Post a Comment