Thursday, March 19, 2009

Elizabeth Johnson

Five years ago today my grandmother passed away unexpectedly. I was extremely close to her, talked to her on the phone at least once a week, spent the summers in Georgia when I was little and continued to go once a year by myself in college. She was an amazing women. I will write a book about her. She was in high school during WWII, spent 21 months in a sanatorium with tuberculosis, raised 4 children, maintained many lifelong friendships, loved to travel, and loved me. Well, she also loved other people, but I was the first granddaughter which, in case you didn't know, is the absolute best role to have in life. I have written several essays and journal entries about her. Here is an excerpt of the wonderful adventures I had at my grandparents house:

"playing with my Barbies for hours; having flower sales with all the artificial flowers in your house; playing games with you at the dining room table; sitting in the chair next to Granddaddy and watching Braves games; sitting on the floor in front of you and organizing pictures; cooking in the kitchen; organizing all kinds of things in your house; the show Cousin Mike and I put on for you for your anniversary (47?); the time the air conditioning broke and we had to sleep in very little; the time you had to go out of town for a few days and it was just going to be Granddaddy and I…you taught me how to braid my own hair for camp the next day; I loved looking through your high school yearbook; I loved watching you mow the lawn on the riding lawn mower; I used to play in your make-up and go through all the old dresses and try them on; I tried on your wedding dress."






No comments:

Post a Comment