Friday, November 13, 2009

A Most Curious Vegetable: Spaghetti Squash

While living in Rhode Island, I spent many Fall days trying out recipes for seasonal fruits and vegetables. My most favoritest by far is the spaghetti squash. What a gem I have found!
Spaghetti squash is usually pretty large and a cylindrical shape. What you find in the grocery store is a pale yellow color. You can cook it in the oven, microwave, on the stove, or in a crockpot. Uncooked, it is just like any other gourd...hard to cut. This is what it looks like cooked.
You take a fork to scrap out the good stuff out of the shell. The squash will come out in strings(like spaghetti).
One spaghetti squash makes a lot of food!
There are a plethora of recipes on the Internet, but it is also good with just a little salt and pepper. This recipe I made came from a casserole cookbook.
It has zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, a little broth, and sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top.
It was delicious! Spaghetti squash is by far my current favorite vegetable. Try it out for yourself. You can thank me later. (P.S. It is very filling and low in calories per serving.)

No comments:

Post a Comment