Thursday, November 12, 2009

Hole in the Wall

Nicholas' latest project in the house. Our kitchen in Rhode Island was very tiny and had little cabinet space. There was barely enough room for one person to work in there. We had an appliance closet in the hallway (which was probably supposed to be a linen closet) because we had too many appliances for the kitchen. We found these awesome shelves at IKEA to store spices, and LOVED them. But we didn't have room for them on the wall in our new kitchen. Nicholas mounted one of the three shelves under the cabinets, but it decreases the amount of counter space available. After disliking using the tiny cabinets by the stove for spices, I decided I wanted to find a place for the other two IKEA shelves. I found a spot I thought I could "live" with having them, and I was trying to explain/show Nicholas to see what he thought. That's when he said, "Wouldn't it be great if they were mounted in the wall?"
That's when the hole punching began. Actually, that is when my husband's brain started working to figure out how he could make it happen.He did lots of figuring, measuring, re-measuring, framing, cutting, and after two days, we had quite a mess! This is the view from the storage area in the garage where most of the work took place.
This is Nicholas standing in the garage and me taking a picture from the kitchen.
This is the wonderful end result! We really like to take a place and make it our own IMMEDIATELY!

No comments:

Post a Comment