Thursday, June 11, 2009

Decompressing

I am sitting on my couch with an in progress counted cross stitch next to me, piles of papers on the floor, piles of stuff on the coffee table, piles of books over in the corner that I need to find a home for, a messy house, and no husband. Nicholas is in Corning, NY at the Glass Art Society (GAS) Conference until Saturday. He left yesterday, the same day that little bro, Jeremy left. Did I mention that I have 5+ in progress blog entries about the past week and a half? I should go make something for dinner. I also have a long list of things to do, but I always have that.

Nicholas has graduated from RISD, and I feel like saying, "What Now?" I don't mean what is Nicholas going to do for a job, and I don't mean where are going to move. I mean what are we going to do with ourselves...our life after grad school. The past three years of our lives have been consumed by RISD, planned around RISD, dictated by RISD. We really don't have anything dictating our lives now, except the pending move that will be here before we know it.

Around this time last year, I flew to RI from a visit home to Texas. Nicholas flew to Seattle for 3 weeks, and his family flew to Sweden. I was miserable most of the time without many friends, no real reason to leave the house (a downside to working from home), and a husband who was literally across the country, 3 time zones away. I told him he was never allowed to leave me here like that again. So, here I sit alone in the apartment, a year later. Nicholas is still in my time zone, I have lots of friends, and reasons to leave the house. I am relishing the opportunity to organize while Nicholas is away and catch up on my Netflix. It probably also helps that Nicholas won't be gone for 3 weeks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment