Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fall Food

I love summer fruit and salads, but cooking meals during the summer is not all it is cracked up to be, unless you use the grill, which I usually don't. Our oven vents onto the stove, so using it during the summer is pretty much limited, and this summer, I just wasn't in the mood to do much cooking anyway.
My foodie heart belongs to Fall. Oh the vegetables! Soups! Casseroles! One-dish meals! Seeing the first crop of winter squash in the store brings a big smile to my face. And APPLES! The recent issue of Cooking Light magazine made my heart race as I dogeared most pages as recipes I wanted to try, but I have put them on hold until next week so my husband doesn't get Fall vegetable poisoning (and to try out a few other recipes first. BUT...here are some that I am really looking forward to trying:

Loaded Potato Soup
Spiced Pork Tenderloin with Sauteed Apples
Mushroom and Provolone Patty Melts
Fall Vegetable Curry
Squash Apple Turnovers
Apple Upside Down Cake
Fig Applesauce and Almond Breakfast Loaf

Now that you are salivating...here are some pretty kickin' recipes that have recently graced our table now that I am back into the mood of creative cooking--

Simply Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas--I needed to use up some sour cream and scoured the Internet for a good recipe. Nicholas has been complaining about restaurant enchiladas because that aren't cooked in a big casserole dish together. This recipe is a keeper. I added tomatoes to the enchilada filling.

Potato Horseradish Mahi-Mahi--Mahi-Mahi was on sale, and I searched for a last minute recipe after I had already visited the grocery store. This was AMAZING! Nicholas ate the leftovers, and he doesn't believe in reheating cooked fish.

Caribbean Spicy Chicken Sausage and Squash Soup--I love soup, and I love this dish. I love one-pot meals! This recipe has all of my favorite things, and tastes amazing no matter how I modify it. I made it last night, used water instead of chicken broth, left out the blackeyed peas...and it was still delicious. (Ahem...the Huebner's should really try this recipe.) This was also my first "squash" recipe of the season, which was appropriate since yesterday was the first day it didn't hit 90 degrees, and we woke to temps in the 60s!

Be prepared for more great recipes and dishes from our table. Now back to nursery decoration planning.

1 comment:

  1. That soup does sound delicious! I love it when people make suggestions like that because that's one less decision I have to make. We'll have to give it a try soon. :)

    ReplyDelete