Sunday, September 11, 2011

Another Day

My Facebook homepage is replete with comments about today, the tenth anniversary of 9/11. Many have posted with remembrance of where they were on that fateful day. Nicholas and I have spent the day at church celebrating the beginning of a new church year and Sunday School. I have been formulating this post in my head all day. What exactly do you write?
On September 11, 2001, I was 20 years old; a junior in college. I didn't have class that day, and I was working at the daycare I worked at all through college. In the morning, I wasn't assigned a class, so I remember listening on the radio to news of what was happening thousands of miles away. I had a 7pm class that wasn't cancelled. It was a three hour class, but we only met for about an hour before we were released to attend a candlelight vigil at the UT Tower. It was a powerful experience. I don't remember anything else about that day. What I remember is everything that has happened since that day.
9/11 will never just be another day. At the time, I was not effected personally by the events of 9/11. I did not have any friends or family in any of the areas that the planes hit, nor did I know people traveling. Since then I have flown on a plane probably 50 times, an experience that has forever changed. I have celebrated the return of my oldest sister and brother-in-law from the War in Iraq. I have celebrated the return of another sister and brother-in-law from tours of duty in Iraq. I have celebrated the return of my oldest sister from her second tour of duty in Kuwait in time to attend our wedding. I have mourned the loss of a dear friend who joined the Marines because of 9/11 and lost his life in Iraq.  I have lived in the northeast and visited New York City on numerous occasions. I have stood at Ground Zero and watched as people continued to mourn 6, 7, and 8 years after the horrific loss of our nation's sense of security.
Nicholas stated earlier that September 11th is the defining event of our generation. On this, the tenth anniversary, I bow down and count my blessings. I am thankful for all the family and friends that surround me and my family and give unending love to Lil' D. I am thankful for our military and those who sacrifice time with their families, some more than others. Most importantly, I am thankful that I will wake up in the morning with no fear because I truly do live in the land of the free. I pray that our generation never forgets this freedom isn't free.

No comments:

Post a Comment