Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Little Piece of Rhode Island

We spent the weekend in Rhode Island, our last flight before we become a family of three. We stayed with our friends (with cute kids), the Sprouts.
As a disclaimer, before I begin raving about all the things I love and miss about Rhode Island, it is important to note that I was not always happy there. Being a grad school widow the first two years of our marriage was incredibly difficult, as was moving 2000 miles away from all my family and friends (and the beloved state of Texas). I did, however, learn an important lesson God's time is not my time. Never did I imagine that I would find such an amazing community and Rhode Island Family at St. James Lutheran Church, nor did I expect to form such strong, lifelong bonds. In retrospect, God's plan is much better than my plan, even though sometimes the medicine doesn't go down very well!
No trip to RI would be complete without a stop at the DnD.
We made lots of yummy food stops. Isn't vacation supposed to be all about food?!? En route to apple picking, we enjoyed lunch a cute cafe. Mmmm...lobster bisque and Nantucket Nectars.
We went apple picking at Sweet Berry Farm. Nicholas and I enjoyed picking raspberries there a couple summers ago, and it is in a beautiful part of RI (possibly our favorite part).
After a fruitful adventure of apple picking, we went to 2nd beach. I miss living by the ocean, not because I like swimming in the ocean, but because I love the smell and sound of crashing waves during all seasons.
Then we went to Beavertail Park, not exactly kid friendly, but gorgeous nonetheless.
"I wanna wear my glasses like the big girls!"

Somewhere on the trip back home, Nicholas decided to start taking pictures of the Dunkin' Donuts we passed. I am sure the final count probably bordered 15-20 that we saw during the day.
Eventually, hanging out at the Sprouts will result in a little Wii playing. The kids love to just watch. Here Nicholas is playing a double dutch jump rope game with Tater. Too cute!
Sassy got sick early Sunday morning, so we went to church minus Sassy and mom. Sitting in the sanctuary at St. James felt just like home---just like we hadn't been gone for over a year. It was great to spend time with our extended church family, meet the new pastor, see how all the babies are now toddlers, and even get in a little Adult Bible study. Sunday night, we had an adult night at our favorite pizza place, Bob n' Timmy's. For this girl who doesn't like pizza, I sure do miss Rhode Island pizza! Of course, the number of pizza places rival the number of Dunkin' Donuts, and I wouldn't eat just any pizza (especially since many places use canned mushrooms instead of fresh!), but you just can't beat the really good pizza!
And, since you can't go to Federal Hill without a visit to Pastiche, a French Bakery, we enjoyed a little taste of Fall. Apple cider and banana cream pie--delicious!
Many, many more pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment