Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Coooookie Monster

I have blogged before about my love of babies. I am most definitely NOT one of those New Mom's who had never changed a diaper before. I don't even remember how old I was when I changed my first diaper, but it was probably my little brother, Logan. I have younger siblings, younger cousins, nieces, nephews, cousins with kids, and lots of friends with babies. I worked at a daycare for five years and spent well over 15 years with babysitting income. I always swore I would never have kids because I enjoyed other people's too much. Who really believed that anyway?
All that to say how different it is with my own baby. I thought I loved babies before I grew my own, but I had no idea that a) I would forget so quickly about how uncomfortable I was pregnant; b) I would forget so quickly what it was like to naturally deliver a 10 pound 3 ounce baby; c) I would have such a special bond with Lil' D. He's pretty awesome, but don't worry, that's all the mushy gushiness you will get here...
You know how some species eat their own young? Hmmm...at this point, I couldn't image wanting to do that (but no promises once Lil' D becomes more obstinate!), but never in my wildest dreams could I have imaged that my own young would try to eat me.
As I pause for laughter...let me explain. I decided that I wanted to breastfeed Lil' D for at least a year. I read all the books, went to a breastfeeding class, and talked to Veteran and New Moms about their experiences. Who new that with all that "preparation" I would still have so many issues? Breastfeeding is hard; it hurts; it takes a lot of time; it is learned, NOT innate, and most of the time it just sucks. Until, it doesn't suck anymore. I don't know when breastfeeding exactly became easier, fast, not painful, and second nature, but that is where we are now. It took a really long time, but I am happy that I stuck with it. I do have disclaimer, though, if I were not working from home, I am not sure that I could have continued breastfeeding, especially going back to work when Lil' D was only 7 weeks old. I do not enjoy pumping!
So now Lil' D is a pro at nursing. He most definitely does not need my help. In fact, the other morning we were laying in bed smiling at each other and trying to convince Daddy to wake up. Lil' D decided he was ready to eat (although, I believe he is always ready to eat, especially when he smells Mommy). I swear he tried to undress me so he could start eating! Apparently he doesn't even need my help there. Pretty soon he will figure out how to work the strap on my nursing bra...
That story, however, does not really illustrate the "eating me" analogy. Since Lil' D has been teething, he likes to attack shoulders. Beware if you hold him on your shoulder! It is the most dramatic with me, especially when he is hungry. When I hold Lil' D, and he is hungry, it is like he is bobbing for apples. It seems he thinks he can get milk anywhere he attaches himself to me. He also makes cute/weird squeals and grunts very similar to Cookie Monster when he is shoveling cookies in his mouth. It makes me laugh every time. You know that dance "the worm" when someone does this crazy move on the floor that looks like a worm inching along on the floor? That is what Lil' D looks like when I carry him the short distance from his crib in my office to our bedroom so I can feed him in the early hours of the morning. Patience, my child, patience. If I dain to try burping him in the middle of his eating session, he voices his displeasure (but apparently not too loud because Nicholas rarely wakes up) and trys sucking on my shoulder. We wouldn't have this particular comic relief if I wasn't nursing him, so go us for sticking with it! Who knows what adorable, laughable, weird, and unexpected stories Lil' D will continue to provide us! You will most definitely continue to read about many of them here, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment