Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Santa Fe Road Trip: Days 7-9, Santa Fe - Amarillo - Austin

Thursday was Day 7. We woke up in Santa Fe, packed up our stuff and helped clean up our airbnb.  It took way longer to pack that we would have liked. It always does! We left a little before noon and drove to the Godinez house in Amarillo. We lost an hour, so our 4 hour trip felt like 5. We enjoyed catching up with my sister. Nephew Elgin showed off his Legos to Big Bro and Lil' Bro. They were very excited! When Elgin got home, we had dinner. Then we had an adult volleyball game with Laurie, Elgin, Sarah and Little Elgin while Kellie watched the little boys inside. Then we played Catch Phrase.
Lil' Bro helping Kellie feed the dogs.
Laurie had to leave Friday morning for a trip to Phoenix, but she made us breakfast, first!
Then we got ready and headed out for Palo Duro Canyon State Park with Little Elgin. We stopped at Dunkin Donuts first to visit Kellie at work and get some coffee! From there it took about 35 minutes to get to Palo Duro Canyon. It was beautiful!
We started our hike on the Rojo Grande Trail and hike for about .75 miles. It was hot, with a little bit of shade. Then we stopped at the campground and had some lunch in a shady picnic table. Elgin and I hiked back and got the van while Daddy and the boys stayed in the shade. 
After lunch we hiked a bit on the Rock Garden Trail. It was about 6 miles long in and out, but we just hiked about .5 miles in and turned around. It was full of big rock formations and was a steady elevation incline up. Everyone had fun climbing on rocks!
Lil' Bro got up on top of the rock with Cousin Elgin.
We went to Palo Duro Canyon in July, so it was hot! But we tried to stay in the shade where we could, drank lots of water and reapplied sunscreen! We had some afternoon rest time after all our hiking. Then we went to dinner with Cousin Sarah and Cousin Elgin. The boys enjoyed time with their big cousins!
After dinner it was pretty much time for bed. Lil' Bro was not very interested in sleeping. After lots of time procrastinating, after Big Bro and Baby Bro were asleep, some neighbors starting shooting off fireworks (at about 10pm). The sound in the house was a little scary for Lil' Bro so Daddy took him outside to see the fireworks show. 
Saturday morning we packed up and started our long drive back to Austin. We stopped at a city park in Sweetwater for lunch. This is a picture of Big Bro and Lil' Bro working together to fold up the picnic blanket! So sweet!
We got to Lakeway around 5pm. Baby Bro had been crying awhile, so we decided to stop at Hat Creek for dinner and let the boys have some playground time. It was great to be almost home! After dinner, we made the final drive home and unloaded the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment