Thursday, February 11, 2010

Top Ten Thursday

Top Ten Thursday during the month of February is dedicated to things I love love love!

This week: The top ten things I love about Austin. You will most likely see future blog posts about many of these places.

10. Free Swimming--Due to being stuck in Rhode Island in the snow, it took me some time to come up with this one. It hasn't been swimming season since we have been back in Austin, yet, but how I do love all the wonderful places to swim for little to no cost! Here are a few: Barton Springs Pool ($1), Deep Eddy, Dick Nichols Neighborhood Pool, Garrison Pool, and a multitude of areas along the Barton Creek Greenbelt.

9. Farmer's Market Stores--Fresh food that is in season and easy on the pocketbook, bulk foods, never a long line and double ad Wednesday all make me HAPPY! Thanks to Sprouts Farmers Market and Newflower Market, I willingly go to multiple grocery stores for great food and good prices.

8. My house--I love it and wish I was there right now instead of snowed in at the Holiday Inn Express with a sick hubby.

7. City Parks--It's hip to be outdoors in Austin (remember Lance Armstrong?). There are a gazillion parks in our area that are fun to go hiking, just take a walk or take the nieces to the playground. Here is a sampling that are within about 15 miles of our house: Mary Moore Seawright Park, Dick Nicholas Park, Barton Creek Greenbelt, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, Wild Basin Preserve, and Goat Cave Preserve.

6. The University of Texas--My Alma Mater. I proudly wear burnt orange no matter where I am, but there is something special about actually being in Austin on a Gameday and seeing the tower light up with a Longhorns win!

5. Lady Bird Lake--A city park that deserves its own number on the countdown. The hike and bike trail is my favorite in Austin and affords a beautiful view of downtown.

4. 24hr Fitness--My home away from home. I originally joined 24hr Fitness about a year before we got married. I loved it. I was heartbroken to surrender my membership and killer monthly rate when we moved to Rhode Island because there were no 24hr Fitness locations in the area. I joined one gym while I was there, but it was dismal in comparison, and I had trouble finding motivation to take the "long" 8 minute drive to get there. Now I am happy to be back in 24hr Fitness land with elliptical machines, personal TVs, and an indoor pool.

3. Local Restaurants--There is very little need to go to a chain restaurant when you are in Austin. There are so many wonderful places that are unique to Austin. Here are some of my favorites: Trudy's, Jack Allen's Kitchen, South Congress Cafe, Romeo's, Shady Grove, Galaxy Cafe, The Oasis, El Arroyo, Rudy's BBQ, Tres Amigos, The Grove, Waterloo Icehouse, and Mama Fu's (not local to Austin, but darn delicious and FRESH). Take notes and come visit us!

2. Supporting Kiddos--Baseball games, basketball games, volleyball games, band concerts, choir performances, jazz combos, college auditions, softball games, volleyball tournaments, board games, eye doctor appointments, high school graduations, confirmation, Christmas pagaents....I love it all.

1. My hubby--Born and raised in Austin, and now with me wherever I go. I love to share everything with him, except sickness.

Compare my list to Texas Outside's Top Ten Things to do Outside in Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment